Federal Depository Program
Shreve Memorial has been a Depository Library since 1923. The Selective Federal Depository collection at Shreve Memorial Library's Main Branch offers a core collection of specialized government documents, including the U.S Government Manual, Federal Register, Statistical Abstracts of the United States, Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States, census information, and more. In addition to the print items, there are extensive digital government documents available through the Shreve Memorial Library catalog and directly through Federal Agency websites.
Below are some helpful links to government sites. For additional information, please contact Special Collections on the 3rd Floor of the Main Branch of Shreve Memorial Library at 318-226-5897 or by email.
The Internet carries an extensive range of government information. The following links are helpful tools:
Online Searching Sites
GovInfo.gov - GovInfo provides provides free public access to official publications from all three branches of the Federal Government.
Catalog of U.S. Government Publications - The CGP is the finding tool for federal publications that includes descriptive information for historical and current publications as well as direct links to the full document, when available.
Congressional Directory - This official directory provides short biographies along with telephone numbers of each member of the Senate and House, committee memberships, and terms of service.
American FactFinder - This resource provides access to census data about the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Island Areas.
Ben's Guide to U.S Government for Kids - This guide teaches kids in kindergarten through 12th grade about the federal government.
Social Security Handbook - This resource provides information and a guide to the Social Security program.
Compilation of Presidential Documents - This consists of Weekly and the Daily Compilation of Presidential Documents that are official publications of materials released by White House Press Secretary.
Other Federal Government Websites
Other Federal Government Websites - This page contains links to federal government information available on the web, including budget information, census information, federal regulations, and more.
Louisiana Public Document Depository Program
Louisiana government agencies publish many documents that are of interest to the general public. Shreve Memorial Library is a participating library in the distribution program. For information concerning Louisiana public documents and the depository program, please contact Shreve Memorial Library.
Louisiana.gov - The official website for the state of Louisiana.
Louisiana Digital Library - This website has Louisiana public documents in a digital format.
The Louisiana Collection contains circulating (LA) and non-circulating (LA Coll) materials. Our collection consists of Louisiana History, authors, cookbooks, and Louisiana magazines.
The Microform Collection includes The Shreveport Times, Shreveport Journal, Times Picayune, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and various old local newspapers. Back issues of these newspapers are available on microfilm. Microfilm/print readers are available at the Main Branch.
The Shreveport Times is indexed from:
- 1973-1985: Card Catalog, 3rd floor of the Main Branch
- 1985-1991: Selective index books, 3rd floor of the Main Branch
- 1992-March 1996: by title in SML's online catalog
- 1992-present: Obituaries and Death Notices only in SML's online catalog
The Law Collection contains books on pro se (do-it-yourself) legal topics under Louisiana law. The books cover Civil Code, Civil Procedures, Revised Statutes, Louisiana Cases, and subject books concerning family, divorce, real estate, and probate law.
- Shreve Memorial Library's Main Branch currently offers the Lexis Nexis Advance. These databases can be used for research and are only available at the Main Branch in Special Collections.
- The Southern Reporter set covers court opinions and decisions from 1941 to 2008 issued by the state courts of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
- Shreve Memorial Library also has a Federal law collection that contains the United States Code, along with the annotated United States Code, United States Reporters, and United States Statutes at Large.
- Librarians cannot give legal advice, but can assist you with research.
- Gale Legal Forms are now available through the State Library Database page. There you are able to find many different official legal forms. This resource includes state specific, federal, business, personal, real estate and general forms covering hundreds of legal subjects and issues.
The Special Collections Department has a Petroleum Collection that includes a subscription to several oil and gas magazines such as AAPG Bulletin (1917-Present, minus 2011-2014), Oil & Gas Journal (1922-Present), and The Leading Edge, to name a few. The reference volumes include titles like Pipeline Rules of Thumb Handbook, Drilling Engineering, Handbook of Natural Gas Transmission and Processing, Minerals Yearbook, Initial Reports of the Deep Sea Drilling Project and U.S. Geological Survey Professional Papers. There are several titles for check out as well. If you are in the Oil & Gas Industry or looking to have a career in this industry, you may want to give our collection a visit. You can find this collection on the 3rd Floor of the Main Branch.
Shreveport City Directories
The Shreveport City Directories are organized by name, address, and phone. The print directories date from 1924 to present.