Voter Resources at SML
Register to Vote
In Louisiana, to register to vote you must:
- Be a U.S citizen;
- Be 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles), but must be 18 years old to vote;
- Not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony;
- Not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights;
- Reside in the state and parish in which you seek to register; and
- Must be registered at least 20 days prior to an election if registering through our GeauxVote Online Registration System or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail registration to be eligible to vote in that particular election.
The easiest way to register to vote is to use the GeauxVote Online Registration System. On the online registration system, you can register to vote and update or change your current registration in Louisiana.
You can also register to vote in person by visiting a Registrar of Voters Office, a Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles, Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services; WIC offices; food stamp offices; Medicaid offices; offices serving persons with disabilities such as the Deaf Action Centers and Independent Living Offices; or Armed Forces recruitment offices. To register in person, you must be able to prove your age, residency, and identity.
You can register to vote through the mail by downloading the Louisiana Voter Registration Application, completing it and mailing it to your local Registrar of Voters Office. The list of offices for registrars of voters is also included on the form.
You may also register by using a National Mail Voter Registration Form.
Find Your Local Officials
You can find local officials in the Public Officials Database from the Louisiana Secretary of State. On this site, you can search statewide or by parish or office.
Know the Candidates & Issues
- The League of Women Voters of Louisiana provides information each election that includes candidates’ answers to policy questions and descriptions of Constitutional Amendments that will be on the ballot.
- You can search your ballot before you go at Vote 411.
- You can also view your ballot in the Louisiana Voter Portal.
- You can also visit the library to search through recent editions of newspapers to find information on the candidates and their views.
- Upcoming Election Information is available from the Louisiana Secretary of State.
- Information on early voting in Caddo Parish is available from the Caddo Parish Registrar of Voters.
Find Your Polling Location
- Find your polling location using the Louisiana Voter Portal.
- See a complete list of polling places in Caddo Parish.
Voter ID Procedures
Be prepared to show a photo identification card with your photo and signature when voting. If you do not have a photo ID, you may obtain a free Louisiana special identification card by presenting your voter registration information card to the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) or you may vote by affidavit after correctly answering identifying information before voting.
Never wear any campaign shirt, hat, and button or pin when voting. All polling places have a 600 foot campaign free zone.
See Election Results
Find the most recent election results on the Louisiana Voter Portal.
Caddo Parish Registrar of Voters
525 Marshall Street, Suite Number 103
Shreveport, LA 71101